Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Rite of Passage

William has been asking for his own library card recently and today was the big day! I took along our new camera to document the event.....


Here's Will browsing the selection while waiting for our favorite librarian Susan to be free. He's not sure he really wants to check something out today, though. Can't have too much excitement all at once! I have a picture of Ben at this age standing at the same bookshelves on the day he got his first library card. Brings a tear to my eye! They grow up so quickly.....

After what seemed like an eternity of a wait, it was finally time to approach the library desk and make the request. .....actually I don't think he requested a library card so much as he proclaimed the fact that he would be getting one. "I'm going to get a library card today!" Is whatI remember hearing. Here's the moment of that proclamation to Susan....

Susan is such a wonderful, sweet person. Her family lives just down the road from us and we met her back when we first moved here. She used to run an organic pick-your-own strawberry farm, without the organic prices. I miss going there. Anyway, she is so much fun to talk with and she always has some interesting tidbit to relate to the kids when we come in. Today she told Ben about a movie making contest the library will sponsor this summer. Right up his alley! He's excited to get started on it. You can be sure it will be a topic for a future post. But I digress. Let's get back to William!

After showing the appropriate ID, Will fills out the official form....

while Susan does the high-security background check on the family. Can't be too careful these days...


Finally, there is the signing of the card.


But Wait! In a surprise move, William chooses a book to check out!!! Congratulations my son, now you are a man!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Congratulations Will! Let the learning begin!