
In turn, I was inspired to make a collection of some of the cakes I have lost sleep over in years past. Prepare to get hungry.....
This is a cake I made for Charlie's baptism. It is covered in fondant instead of frosting. Oooh pretty!
Here is another fondant number I made for Ben's first communion. I was on a fondant kick there for awhile. It sure looked pretty but no one ever ate any of it. The whole household (except Ben) came down with the flu the day before first communion day and we certainly had no appetite for cake.
Charlie's first birthday had a rubber ducky theme. I used a cake form for this one. Cute!

I loved the outcome of this Horsey cake! It still is in my top 3 favorite cakes. Ben turned 4 the year of the Cowboy Jamboree party. The photo below the cake is the front of his party invites that year. He is so little! I still remember the fun we had doing that "photo shoot".


This is Will's campfire cake for his 6th birthday. Too bad we didn't get a better shot of it, it was pretty cute. I think our camera was on the fritz that day, too.
Although not a cake, and not a creation I can take credit for, I just had to include it in the parade of cakes. My sister in law, Tracy, did this for her son Ryan's 3rd birthday. If you can't tell, it's a whole watermelon made up to be Larry Boy from the Veggie Tales videos.
I am definitely all about big chocolate cakes these days. Ben doesn't ask for theme cakes anymore and Charlie doesn't know he is entitled to one. When he was 2, Charlie's cake looked exactly like the one for his 3rd birthday below, only with M&Ms sprinkled on top. So there ya go.
Will is my hold out on the specialty cakes. He loooooooves LEGOs and wanted a LEGO cake more than anything for his 7th birthday. I set out to make a cake that actually looked like a LEGO with the studs and all but noooo, he just wanted a cake that had the LEGO logo on it. He insisted. Isn't that funny?
And last but not least, the clone of the cake which was the inspiration for this post, the Pirate Ship for Ben's 6th birthday. Arrrrgh! Those are Swedish fish swimming around the ship, but I know we had a shark in there somewhere...maybe sneaking around the other side?

Well, there you have it, my parade of just some of the crazy cakes I've put together over the years. This was such a fun post to do! A trip down memory lane....
3 comments:
Yay! I love the parade! Those are some beautiful cakes, indeed. I think that my sentimental favorite is the ducky, the most artistic is the horse, and the most "motherly" is the Lego cake. We will do anything to make the dreams come true, won't we?
Joe never asks for any particular cake anymore either, and I have to come up with something myself. I am sort of glad, because he's into impossible things. But you are so handy with that fondant (I have never tried it... it looks hard!) you could make almost anything.
Long live cake! And yes, food is love.
I have also never been brave enough to venture into the world of fondant. For Shortcake's last birthday, I sooooo wanted to make the Don Corleone horse head cake but I guess it was an offer she could refuse. Insert pout here.
My oldest son won't request cakes either. I usually choose for him. what's up with these first born sons?
Babs,
I think "motherly" is the perfect way to describe that LEGO cake. He was *so* happy with that cake that it has become one of my favorite cakes, too.
Matilda,
I would welcome that particular horse head on my pillow any day! Mmmm...just roll over and feast!
Both of you,
Fondant isn't as difficult as it looks. It can be a little putzy if you start doing multiple colors and shapes and such, but the results are so lovely. I think the biggest reason I haven't done any fondant in a long time is that I don't think it is a big crowd pleaser on taste. Maybe I just did't immerse myself far enough into the world of fondant to figure out a really good flavoring tecnique. Still, home-made frosting keeps 'em coming back for more!
Post a Comment