Sunday, July 27, 2008

Indirect Brush With Greatness


Interesting tidbit. While on the train this afternoon I struck up a conversation with the gentleman across the aisle from us and found out that he is a firefighter in a small Wisconsin town by the name of Columbus. Now, I had never heard of Columbus, WI until
last night when I was reading this. Yes, Johnny Depp was on location in Columbus, WI back in March shooting his newest film Public Enemies. It chronicles the story of notorious gangster John Dillinger, along with other such bad boys as Baby Face Nelson and Pretty Boy Floyd. The gang spent a fair amount of time in and around the north woods of Wisconsin in cabin hideouts until a final shoot out ended it all. I love 1930s era films so this one will for sure be on my list in 2009!

Anyway...Darrell, the man on the train, was on the set during much of the filming and met and shook hands with Mr. Depp. He was kind enough to oblige me by shaking my hand so now I can proudly say "I shook the hand of the man who shook Johnny Depp's hand". He also informed me that Johnny seemed "nice enough", spent a lot of time in the taverns, and signed a lot of autographs. He said Johnny didn't mind spending time shaking hands and signing autographs, but would pack it up if the ladies started swooning and screaming. Evidently that must get old pretty quickly. (Note to self; do not scream and swoon when meeting Johnny Depp. ) Darrell also informed me, while rolling his eyes, that the Mayor of Columbus choose to use the money generated from the movie shoot for the annual horse show budget. Ah, small town life.

So, I just think it's a funny coincidence that I made a Johnny Depp connection in such an unlikely place. A true oddity. Especially with all the mentions I've made lately in posts and comments to certain friends. Now, what degree of seperation from Kevin Bacon do you suppose that gives me?

2 comments:

Barbara said...

According to that indispensible site, when I was standing in that train station next to (but not touching - I'm not a toucher) James Noble (the Gov. on Benson), I was indeed just a TWO degrees away from Sean Connery.

Sean Connery was in Bridge Too Far, A (1977) with Ryan O'Neal.
Ryan O'Neal was in Chances Are
(1989)with James Noble.

Freaking awesome!

Michelle said...

Hmm.. when I met Henry Mancicni and asked him to play the Peter Gun theme atop a 7-11 for 24 hours straight with my 52 piece guitar show-band, I became 2 degrees seaparated from Johhny Depp. (By the way he declined saying he would be in Greece that day.)

Johnny Depp was in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) with Liz Smith (I)
Liz Smith (I) was in Son of the Pink Panther (1993) with Henry Mancini

Also, when I met Elvis Costello and asked him to sign my copy of Goodbye Cruel World and he said to me "So you're the one who bought it", I found myself 2 degrees removed from Johnny Depp.

Johnny Depp was in Source, The (1999) with Philip Glass
Philip Glass was in Old, Weird America: Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music, The (2007) with Elvis Costello

When I picked up the room service tray with a half-eaten cheesburger on it from outside Jimmy J. J. Walker's door at the St. Paul Hotel, once again I was 2 degrees separated from Mr. Depp.

Johnny Depp was in Don Juan DeMarco (1995) with Nada Despotovich
Nada Despotovich was in Plump Fiction (1997) with Jimmie Walker (I)

When I had dinner with Bobby Z., again, 2 degrees.

Johnny Depp was in Brave, The (1997) with Clarence Williams III
Clarence Williams III was in Purple Rain (1984) with Bobby Z.

And finally, for the Love of all that is Good and Holy, when I served Little Richard a tutti-frutti snowcone at Taste of Minnesota, Two small degrees, two small degrees. Yeah, baby!