Friday, July 11, 2008

Will You Walk Into My Parlor?

We have a 100+ year-old farm house so we tend to get a few spiders hanging out now and again (Oh come on, admit it, you've got them too!). I have been enlightened recently about these spiders in my house and thought I'd share with you in case you have been confused as well. What I have off-handedly been calling Daddy Long Legs are actually Cellar Spiders. Ooops, my bad. Who knew!? I guess their erratic walk and spazzy behavior should have made me curious before now, but I just thought I had slapped them silly whilst dusting them from my corners. Now that I know this behavior is their own unique way of baffling a predator, it sort of endears them to me. I don't think they adapt well to outdoor living so I can't shoosh them out, but now I feel guilty for smooshing them....they're so amusingly interesting. I have also been informed that they prefer to make a web next-door to their mate. Awww, how sweet! Here, watch the video below and see if you recognize this behavior. Maybe you too have cellar spiders at your house............

No comments: