Monday, July 28, 2008

More From Camp MOM

It was yucky hot today and going to the beach seemed like too much work, so we sought the air-conditioned comfort of the movie theater this afternoon. We went to see Wall*E, the newest Disney/Pixar movie. I love what Pixar has done for Disney. Offerings from this pairing never disappoint and Wall*E was no exception. The film was great, and just plain fun for kids, but the message about rampant consumerism and ecological awareness was none the less apparent. Ironically, though, I remember seeing shelves full of Wall*E merchandise long before the movie was even released! I guess they didn't really mean it. Oh, well, great movie any way.

It has cooled off somewhat this evening so we enjoyed a nice dinner on the porch, and plan to just relax for the rest of the evening. These two children of mine are so easy-going that the dynamic has been totally different around here the last few days. Quite tranquil. That Benjamin really likes to shake things up. The guys come home tomorrow afternoon and it will be interesting to see the noise/activity/energy level ramp up around here again.

For those following along, tonite's Johnny Depp movie is
Secret Window. It's a "shocking psychological thriller" . Depp plays a famous mystery writer who is confronted by a psychotic stranger at his remote lake home. He claims Depp's character has stolen a short story from him. Ooooh, guess who won't be getting any sleep tonight? I'll review tomorrow.


And lest everyone think I have completely immersed myself in all things Johnny these past few days, I have also seen a few other movies without his name in the credits.
The Other Boleyn Girl was pretty good. I liked the book better, and I have to say that I've seen prettier period movies than this one. I also watched Au Revoir Les Infants. This was a very touching and sad film set in a Catholic boarding school in France during WW2. The priests who run the school take in 3 Jewish boys and hide them from German patrols. The focus is on one of those boys and the friendship he develops with a French boy in his class. Heartbreaking, but very much worth seeing.

Well, time to get out a board game and let the kids win! Have a good night!

No comments: