Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Summer Studies Part 4-History "The War of Brothers"

We have been continuing our history studies in July by reading about antebellum slavery, the Underground Railroad and the Civil War. In a week or so we'll be making a trip to a semi-local, highly private and exclusive civil war museum. Yep. I've got connections! Everyone is very excited to go and we are promised a very hands on experience. The kids will be able to try on reproduction and original clothing items, handle firearms and who knows what else! I hope they let me take some pictures! The guy who runs the museum can be a little eccentric they say, so this should be good!

We'll end our studies with a trip out to Historic Fort Snelling at the start of August for their Civil War Weekend. I haven't been out to Fort Snelling in years and years so this should be a fun trip for everyone.



About our History studies in general....

Our history studies are done chronologically (starting with ancient civilizations,then continuing through the middle ages, renaissance, early modern and modern times. ) and we like to use many biographies, picture books, videos and hands-on experiences to really make the time periods and people come alive. This is where I really go nuts with books! We get lots from the public library but our personal library has tons of real gems, too! Although I have looked at the many put-together history programs out there, I have never found one that uses all the books I want to use (Although Susan Wise Bauer's Story of the World series is a nice narrative spine ). So, I peruse lots of book lists from curriculum providers and read many reviews on Amazon to find the best choices for our studies. I put together our own "program" which is constantly changing and evolving.

Keeping events chronological can be difficult for me sometimes (Which came first for instance, The pony Express or the California gold rush?), but a few years back I found a wonderful book to help me with all that. It is called
All Through The Ages from Nothing New Press. I
love this book! It is a compilation of history books; biographies, picture books and historical fiction all chronologically organized for you! And within each time period, these books are organized further by age level!!! So I can see immediately which books are right for my 7 year old and which are better suited for a 5th grader. I love this book! (Did I mention that already?) Everyone should have one! I think they are just printing the new 3rd edition. I might just have to update!

The boys really enjoy our history studies and that makes me soooo happy! I have loved history for as long as I can remember, too. Probably because I had an excellent and engaging history teacher in Jr. High (thanks Mr. Blake!) and of course, anyone who knows my Dad also knows that he is a giant history buff. Enjoying searching for my personal history was a big project for me in college, too. Weekends in my early 20's were spent on many a road-trip to do genealogical research with a good friend. Piecing together the lives of my ancestors was a great puzzle, a fascinating chase. And so it is with the greater history of the world. Discovering who did what and why, and how it has affected the ages is endlessly interesting to me...and hopefully I will pass this on to my kids.


Lastly, for your historic perspective for the day, I will link you to Old Picture of the Day.
"On this day, July 9, in the year 1868 the 14th amendment was passed, giving citizenship to African Americans. This was a big step forward on paper, but I guess progress in real life was a lot slower, as indicated in the photo."

4 comments:

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

I am so glad I scrolled down. That book looks great! You might also enjoy this blog; Reading Your Way Through History. It is maintained by the same lady who started the Love2Learn website (check out the awesome book reviews).

Michelle said...

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the blog. Many of those Love2Learn ladies were my inspiration in my early days of home schooling.

Barbara said...

History is one of those subjects in which it is so hard to pick from all the wonderful stuff out there. It makes it so difficult for me to choose.

You liked Mr. Blake? Astonishing! Was he the very tiny one with the beard? Did I ever have him? Maybe he was my guidance counselor - possibly? I only remember being at his house once (but, why?) and sending him to the corner for some pizza burgers. Why do I remember ordering him around?

Heavens, my memory is really BAD.

I love your suggestions and will check them out. Have you every heard of the Genevieve Foster history books. Good "spine" books and fun.

Michelle said...

History is the worst for narrowing down choices! I have to be so careful not to over-do it!

Mr. Blake was actually my Jr. high (7th and 8th grade) teacher at St. Columba. The "very tiny one with the beard" was a St. Agnes history teacher but I cannot remember his name! I can't remember much about him but there seems to be something oddly attractive about him. I think he was nice, perhaps a bit quiet and introspective? Now the one with the perm and tinted glasses-Yikes! Was that Silvia? I always felt he was one step away from asking me out on a date.

How is it that you got to order so many of our superiors around? Maybe it was Mr. Boone that you sent for Pizza Burgers? He seemed nice, but quite order-around-able.

I have heard of the G. Foster books but have never picked one up. I have been tempted so many times but had the feeling they were too much for the kids ages at the time. Maybe a better fit now?