Rich And Creamy Eggplant Soup-Part 1 of the 2008 Eggplant Extravaganza
After bringing home so many things from the farm earlier this week, I needed to find some good recipes to use them up. Namely some eggplant recipes. I think we came home with about 10 of them-different varieties and sizes. I have never really known what to do with the eggplant (aside from perhaps eggplant parmigiana which I have never even tried), and Steve has always expressed a dislike for it anyway so we have shied away. The recipe I found for last night's dinner however, may change the way we feel about said vegetable forever! Rich and Creamy Eggplant Soup was a real Wow! kind of recipe. Can't say the kids thought as much about it (I had chicken dogs and potato fries waiting in the wings), but the roasted garlicky flavor was like sweet nectar for me and Steve. I served the soup with a side dish of Swiss chard and white beans over a mixture of brown and wild rice. I also added pine nuts and raisins to the rice. Oh, it was all so good!
Rich and Creamy Eggplant Soup
- 3 tomatoes, halved
- 1 eggplant, halved lengthwise
- 1 small onion, halved
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 ounces crumbled goat cheese **
- salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place tomatoes, eggplant, onion and garlic on a baking sheet and brush with oil.
- Roast in preheated oven until very tender and brown in spots, 45 minutes.
- Scoop out eggplant pulp and discard skin. Place eggplant pulp, tomatoes, onion and garlic in a large heavy saucepan with thyme and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer until onion is very tender, 45 minutes.
- Puree in batches in a food processor or blender, or using an immersion blender. Return to low heat and stir in cream. Bring to a simmer, thinning with more broth, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with goat cheese. ** Our goat was fresh out of cheese today so I did not use it. The soup is rich enough without it anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment