Suite Francaise-A very honest, human look at the German troops occupying France during WWII. Nemirovsky's characters struggle in their own minds and hearts with concurrent feelings of hatred, compassion, and sometimes even love, for their young foreign captors. Although unfinished (Nemirovsky was sent to Auschwitz during the writing of Suite Francaise, and killed a month after her arrival there) the book's "ending" seems as natural as if it had been intended to stop where it does. Although I was left with some very particular questions about how the lives of two characters pan out, (Louise, a french woman and Bruno a German officer), notes written by Irene Nemirovsky included in the appendices give a good idea of where she was headed with their story. It was the conclusion I didn't want. Such is life.
Fire In the Blood- Set in France, a story of love and loss. Subtle twists and turns in the story lead to a surprising ending. I really didn't see it coming! Does the "Fire in the Blood" really leave us once our youth is spent, or does it forever course quietly through our veins, just waiting for the right moment to re-ignite?
1 comment:
I thought Suite Francaise was pretty amazing, too. I've been curious about Fire in the Blood, and now I'm putting it on my list of possible future reads.
Post a Comment