Wednesday, February 4, 2009

See Dick And Jane Wish They Were This Cool


On a recent library trip I impulse- grabbed this book by Lane Smith from a display shelf.


I am constantly judging books by their covers and this one had me thinking "Man, that looks funny!". Let me tell ya. I was right. It is juvenile humor with a certain sophistication. It is Dick and Jane had they skipped the frontal lobotomies. It is a dry wit that leaves you thirsting for more. (and luckily there is another!) It is entertainment for the whole family. Well, for most "whole families", I guess. One Amazon reviewer gave it only one star calling it " A recipe for insolence and irony". I say, Bring it on!

The Happy Hocky Family is really quite happy despite their little mishaps and mischievous scenarios, from Baby's balloon popping to a fatal trip to the zoo (for the dog). Ahh, childhood! A time of such simple joys! Our favorite was the gentle treatment of Grandma when confronting her overbearing perfume. Without causing her any undue embarrassment, the children employ the help of a magic monkey to get her to "OPEN the WINDOW WIDE". Who wouldn't want their child to read this? Respect for elders, Magic Monkeys, a Happy Family...who could ask for more? Insolence and irony my ass! I give it 5 stars!!

2 comments:

Caryl said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Caryl said...

Bring it on is right! I just requested this one based on your review. Can't wait!