Winter Nature Storytime is winding down at our favorite local State Park and they have been saving the best for last! I am so glad I had my camera with me! Yesterday's topic was all about owls. Naturalist Julie read to the kids about Owls and then played a variety of owl calls for everyone to hear.
Then there was the passing around of the owl pellets-sort of like hairballs with bones. This is what the owl regurgitates after digesting the nutritious parts of the mouse, vole, whatever, it has recently eaten. Very cool.
At this point Naturalist Barb took over and brought out her beautiful Owl Aztec!
This owl is so cute I just want to eat her up! I had to restrain myself from trying to hug her. I'm sure that would have gone over well...not! I was a little jealous that Barb was able to freely pet this owl's head. It was charming to see Aztec's little eyes close and her head droop as she enjoyed being stroked. So cute! Look at those legs! That was Ben's favorite part! She looks like she is wearing little pants! I can't stand the cuteness! Where, oh where, do I get an owl of my own??
Aztec is a Spectacled Owl and is commonly found in the Amazon Rainforest. She is 17 years old and has lived with Barb for nearly all her life. She is quite healthy and could eventually live another 17 years! She was hatched at the Baltimore Zoo and gifted to the Minnesota Zoo for their bird program. Evidently she was highly "uncooperative" with the trainers at the MN. Zoo and Barb was asked if she might take Aztec for her teaching program. Barb and Aztec have gotten along famously ever since. Barb also takes care of a Golden Eagle and a hawk who cannot sustain themselves in the wild.
After the owl program we took a chilly hike (27 degrees ...brrr) on one of the park's many trails to look for places an owl might like to live.
Charlie contemplates an interesting tree stump. No owl here.
Looking up into the pines.....
.......Ben spotted a nest. But not an owl's nest.
No comments:
Post a Comment