
The Invention of Hugo Cabret-this was quite a unique book, full of imagination and great writing. Parts of the story were told only with illustrations, which I loved.
From Amazon:
Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery.
Ben read this before I did and had this to say-
I liked the illustrations and how well they actually filled in big parts of the story. It was a great book. My favorite "side-track" was finding out about Georges Melies who wrote the first science fiction film in 1902, A Trip To The Moon. I wanted to find out if he was real or just a made-up character in the book. It was fun to find out he was real. You can see his film here.
1 comment:
Isn't this book a fantastic work of art? I really enjoyed hearing Ben's thoughts. Thanks for the link!
Post a Comment