Ben has been gone at scout camp since last Saturday. The camp is an hour and a half away on a beautiful wooded peninsula with all the outdoor activity any boy could want. Steve brought him up there and stayed overnight the first night. I went up to visit the second day for Family Day and also camped overnight. Ben has been "alone" (i.e. without is Mom and Dad) up there ever since. I of course worry every second. It's my job.....
Can I just say that the boy energy up there was totally exhausting for me? Not to mention completely and utterly mystifying. And I was only there for 24 hours. Wow. Too. Much. Testosterone. It was just a step below bare chests and war paints, daggers clasped betwixt their teeth.

Of course the night I stayed over, in a flimsy nylon tent, alone with my 2 young children, there was severe weather. The camp was evacuated to the storm shelter which was a half mile hike, with me carrying Charlie the whole way in the rain, wind and lightning. Yeehaw!! Did I mention that storms are myAchilles Heel? I did not cry, however. Good for me. Inside the storm shelter (a concrete bunker by the lake) the camp staff of 18 to 20- year- old man-boys sang round after roud of rollickin' camp songs at rock-concert decibels, presumably to distract any of the boys who might be scared thinking about their impending death in the wicked, bad thunderstorm. It worked, as we were all bewildered beyond wondering by the amount of energy and enthusiasm emmitting frm these kids at 11:00pm. Anyway, Charlie fell asleep(!) before the gorey version of the Baby Shark song, the storm passed and we all lived to tell the tale.
Steve heads back up to camp the last couple nights and to bring Ben home. Can't wait to hear all about his adventures!
No comments:
Post a Comment