Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Decade



Happy Twenty-Ten everyone!! We spent a cozy evening at home for New Year's celebrations last night. We started things off with a crazy-delicious dinner. First of all was the Butternut Squash soup. I have made this a couple times and it is so tasty I think it is all I shall eat from now on. Seriously. Next was a Tuscan White Bean Salad with Spinach , Olives and Sun -Dried Tomatoes. Yumm again! This salad is so delicious I think it is all I shall eat from now on. No, seriously. For a main course we had Blackened Salmon and Rosemary Roasted Fingerling Potatoes. Let me just tell you about these potatoes. They are so delicious that I think they are all I shall.....well, you get the picture. For desert we had apple pie with a home-made cinnamon whipped cream. Although it sounds like a lot of work, this wasn't so bad to put together. The most labor intensive part of the whole thing was peeling and dicing the squash.
And it was so worth it! Everything else was mostly a bunch of "tossing". Even the apple pie was easy (easy as pie?) as I used pre-sliced apples I had frozen from our fall harvest.

After dinner we settled in to watch Aliens in the Attic with the boys. No one will win an Oscar for it, for sure, but it was actually pretty amusing, and a movie that the gamut of ages and stages here could all appreciate. (Our first choice was actually Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone, but William hasn't quite finished the book yet so we are waiting patiently (at least outwardly) on that one. I have a good feeling about tonight being the night, though.)

Then came the Wii games tournament. Steve and I of course let the boys beat us at all the games. Even Charlie. You know, so it wouldn't ruin their New Year's Eve or anything. Next time we won't be so easy on them.

During the final leg of our evening, in an attempt to keep everyone awake that last hour, we put on some music and danced our way into the New Year. Last song heard in 2009: U2's Discotheque. First song heard in 2010: U2's Discotheque. It's a long song.

My New Year's resolution? To improve my grammar and punctuation skills. I know, yawn. But I don't smoke or need to lose weight or exercise more, so what else is there?

Everyone made it to midnight except for Charlie whose valiant effort brought him all the way to 11:30PM. He made it to the New Year in New York time anyway!

Hope everyone at your house had a wonderful New Year's Eve as well!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Ask me about using a pressure cooker to avoid having to peel the squash when you make soup.