Tomorrow is our first day of the new school year.
Gulp. I am so not ready! And just where $%&** did the summer go? Well, the kids are excited to get started anyway, so that's a good thing. Hmm...I don't seem to have all my needed curriculum purchased yet, but I don't mean to start everything all in a rush on the first day anyway. Nor in the first week, so I'm OK with that. I am very excited that I have my history studies all planned out for the year, complete with projects to do, websites to visit and plenty of good books of course. And it is all neatly outlined in my new home-made daily planner. I'll make a mental note to share that in another post. For now, here's a peek at what the kids will be working with this year...
Gulp. I am so not ready! And just where $%&** did the summer go? Well, the kids are excited to get started anyway, so that's a good thing. Hmm...I don't seem to have all my needed curriculum purchased yet, but I don't mean to start everything all in a rush on the first day anyway. Nor in the first week, so I'm OK with that. I am very excited that I have my history studies all planned out for the year, complete with projects to do, websites to visit and plenty of good books of course. And it is all neatly outlined in my new home-made daily planner. I'll make a mental note to share that in another post. For now, here's a peek at what the kids will be working with this year...
Ben-7th grade (Whaaaaaat? Junior high?)
- Teaching Textbooks Math 7
- Analytical Grammar, season 1
- Bravewriter/Writer's Jungle suggestions, perhaps beginning Writeshop in January for a directed change of pace.
- Cursive copy work from A Journey Through Learning (handwriting practice)
- English From The Roots Up (Greek & Latin roots/Vocab)
- Spectrum Test Prep 7 (neurotic impulse add-on)
- Joy Hakim's The Story of Science-Aristotle Leads the Way
- Independent reading will match history topics.
- Gilgamesh the Hero
- Riddle of the Rosetta Stone
- Tales of Ancient Egypt
- Herodotus and the Road to History
- Learning Through History Magazine, various issues
- The Lightening Thief
- Adventures of the Greek Heroes
- Alexander The Great
- Cleopatra
- In Search of a Homeland (the Aeneid)
- Rome in Cross Section
- Gospel of Matthew plus one other from The Message
- Select chapters from Oxford Ancient Egypt and K12 The Human Odyssey
- Reading and outlining from Kingfisher World History (white book)
- Additional non-history related books TBD
William-4th grade
- All About Spelling levels 1-3 (Spelling/phonics review)
- Writing With Ease level 3
- Bravewriter/Writer's Jungle suggestions)
- Zaner-Bloser cursive (handwriting practice)
- English From the Roots Up (Greek and Latin Roots/Vocab)
- Delta Science in a Nutshell Rock Origins kit, Geology fieldtrip
- Independent reading will match history topics
- Gilgamesh the King
- The Revenge of Ishtar
- The Last Quest of Gilgamesh
- Seeker of Knowledge-The Man Who Deciphered Hieroglyphics
- The Shipwrecked Sailor-Egypt's Oldest Tale
- The Egyptian Cinderella
- Exodus by Wildsmith
- Herodotus and the Road to History
- Tut's Mummy Lost and Found-Will Reads to Charlie
- The Lightening Thief
- d'Aulaires' Greek Myths
- Pandora
- The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
- Alexander the Great
- Rome in Cross Section
- The Parables of Jesus- Tomie DePaola
- Pompeii Lost and Found
- Usborne World History Encyclopedia, selected pages
Charlie-Officially a K'er
- Horizons math K
- Family Math (math games)
- Calendar work with stickers
- Memoria Press Copy Book (handwriting practice, grammar)
- Poetry/memory work-A Child's Garden of Verse by Robert Louis Stevenson
- All About Spelling levels 1 and 2 (in depth phonics)
- Little City Kids History (selected lessons/activities to correlate with big kids studies)
- Elemental Science-Intro to Science K
- Literature will be childhood favorites/classics
- The Important Book
- Blueberries for Sal
- Johnny Appleseed
- How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World
- Stella Luna
- Roxaboxen
- The World of Robert McCloskey
- Miss Rumphius
- d'Aulaires' Columbus
- Ox-Cart Man
- Mike Mulligan and More-A Virginia Lee Burton Treasury
- Among the Forest People
- Story of Ferdinand
- Tapenum's Day
- Various Winter/Holiday books
- Owl Moon
- My Father's Dragon
- Beatrix Potter Treasury-selected tales
- Story of Ping
- Gregory's Shadow
- Washington-A Picture Biography Book Biography by James Cross Giblin
- A House for Hermit Crab
- The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Grey Bridge
- Whatever else we drag home from the library-Charlie's Choice
- Charlie will also read out loud to me a few times a week
- Little Bear Books
- Me on the Map
- Frederick
- Owl at Home (Arnold Lobel, several short stories)
- Adventures with Arnold Lobel (several short stories)
- Billy and Blaze series (6 books or so?)
- Whatever else we drag home from the library-Charlie's Choice
Whew. I'm sure only true list lovers stayed around to the end. There are far too many words in this post so I'll end it up here and continue another day with our "together" work which includes history reading, both informational and historical literature, art, art appreciation, poetry and whatever else it is I am forgetting. Now, off to prepare for tomorrow....

2 comments:
Looks like an excellent plan for the year, Michelle. :) Good luck on your first day! We started our new stuff a couple of days ago...and all I can say about that is, "wow-za!"
Followed Hannah's link to your blog. I have a 7th grader too, and we are doing Story of Science as well. Except we are about a month behind you as we just started school this week. Hope your liking SOS since I am really excited about the series.
Post a Comment