Friday, October 28, 2011

Week In Review October 24-28



This week has been one of those weeks where it was difficult to find enough time to accomplish all we would have liked to.  Staying up too late and subsequently sleeping in most mornings contributed to this seeming shortage of time, but we did do some enjoyable reading this week.


History-We have been beginning our days with reading our history books.  Curling up on the couch after breakfast makes for a relaxing start to the day.  Currently we are enjoying reading about Gladiators, Julius Caesar and Roman soldiers.  (Eagle  of the 9th is getting really good!) We also watched David MacAulay's Roman City.  The animated story was cheesy, but worth wading through for the live footage of important Roman architecture.  (Yes, we will be studying Medieval/Renaissance this year, but we're camped out at the fall of Rome for now!)


Gladiator, Eagle of the 9th, Mystery of the Roman Ransom, You Wouldn't...Roman Soldier, Human Odyssey

Science/Nature Study-We won't begin our chemistry study until next term, so we're a bit light on science for the older kids right now.  Ben is currently reading The Code Book: How to Make it, Break It, Hack It, Crack It.



With Charlie I did a series of lessons on germs and hand washing.  We read Germs Make Me Sick, did a number of activities from Healthy Me which demonstrated how dirt and germs stick to the oil on our skin, and how hand washing gets rid of them.  We also used some Glo Germ lotion and an ultraviolet light to see how well we washed. 



Charlie and I also read from Among the Forest People, and all of us enjoyed a hike at our local state park early in the week.


Among the Forest People (Yesterday's Classics)



Math-Will and Ben both working steadily in Teaching Textbooks.  They also did a little multiplication review work on the Flashmaster this week.  I started Charlie in the 2nd book of Horizons first grade at the beginning of the month and he is already on lesson 100.  He is doing well and does not complain about his lessons. 

Language Arts-Spelling for Ben and Will from Spelling Power. I stopped using this for Will last year to do a remedial session in phonics.  Now that we're back to it I remember how much I like it.  Very easy to use.  Both guys did really well on their lists.  

Charlie and I read Hansel and Gretel together, as well as The Ants and the Grasshopper; an Aesop fable. 

Aesop's Fables for Children: Includes a Read-and-Listen CD


Product Details




Music-Ben and Will are both still playing piano although I think Ben's tolerance of his lessons won't hold out past the end of the year.  He started learning a Simon and Garfunkel song ( I Am A Rock) on the guitar the other day though-very cool.


That's about it for this week.  Not too bad, but I need to get to grammar and writing for Ben and Will.  Soon.  Procrastinators unite!  Tomorrow! 

2 comments:

Mary said...

We love the David Macaulay books - they are awesome! The dvd's were a nice addition.

Looks like a great week! I am a new follower from WTM.

G said...

Looks like a good week! Cyrus really likes the code book you mentioned too. And I'll have to add Eagle of the Ninth to our Rome reading.