Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Rhythm of Family





This is one of those books that I would love to have on my shelves to be able to flip through and savor throughout the year, reading bit by bit, as the months and seasons turn.  I currently have a copy on loan from the library which is in high demand, so I've had to be a little quicker with my reading, but I have enjoyed my way through it regardless!  I started off by just looking at the gorgeous photos of natural surroundings. There are also many artistic shots of suggested crafts and activities that really inspire you to create!   After my visual tour I read through all the projects, mentally bookmarking things I'd like to try.  Finally I started reading the writings of the authors and they are very nurturing and inspiring...especially for young families I would think.  


The format of the book follows the months of the year.  There is a chapter for each month, and each follows the same pattern.  The chapters start  out with beautiful and tender writings from Amanda and Stephen Soule, on family traditions and experiences in their rhythm of the year.  This is followed  by suggestions for things to "Make" and "Do".  "Make" might include a recipe for a warming potato soup* or directions to make felted bowls.  "Do" sections include instructions for growing herbs in January or having a preserving (canning) party in September.  All very cozy and do-able suggestions, and great for sparking your own ideas for seasonal traditions.  At the end of each chapter there are short lists of the Soule family's favorite books relating to the theme of the chapter, always nice for extending a favorite new-found interest!


 Amanda Blake Soule has two additional crafting books, and a pretty little blog called Soule Mama as well.  All worth checking out.




* And my whole family will vouch that this was indeed warming and delicious on a cold January evening!

1 comment:

Caryl said...

Ooh, they include booklists? Yay! This is ready for me to pick up at the library tomorrow. Can't wait.