Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Wonderstruck







Sitting proudly at the top of Ben's Christmas book stack this year was Wonderstruck, the newest offering from Brian Selznick.   Of course I was just as excited to get it as he was, but I managed to hold off reading until after Christmas, and then I devoured it on a quiet, relaxing December 26th.  It did not disappoint.


Wonderstruck is the story of two young children, a boy and a girl, living 50 years apart, but connected by many threads and living similar lives in many ways.  One story, that of Ben, is told in words, while the other, of Rose, is shown in breathtaking drawings.  The stories take turns and mingle giving the reader little clues as to how they will actually become one.  (I loved trying to guess just how the two would be connected!)


From Wonderstruck: Cabinets of Wonder


The setting is split between  Northern Minnesota (yay Gunflint Trail!)  and New York City, giving the author plenty of beautiful and exciting scenes to portray.  The Museum of Natural History plays a big part in the story and I found the idea of a Cabinet of Wonders-sort of a nature table on steroids- irresistible.  I think I need one.  

Perhaps like this:


rocks and minerals


Or maybe this:


Scary stuff!


But I digress.


Selznick's words and illustrations pull you along through the story and keep you interested in guessing if the children will somehow meet in the end.  It is beautiful and sad and tender.  Every bit as wonderful as The Invention of Hugo Cabret! 


1 comment:

Caryl said...

Isn't it fantastic? Selznick's done it again! (Now get to work on that Cabinet of Wonders. I expect to see photos of it posted here soon.)