Thursday, September 13, 2012

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey-Isopods



Charlie and I went on a roly-poly hunt today.  What's a roly-poly?  You  may know them as pillbugs or sow bugs.  When I was a little girl, I called them cement bugs because that's where I always found them; on the damp, shady, cement patio at the back of our house.  We learned today that they are in the crustacean family, so from now on I think I will call them Land Crustaceans. Just to be a smarty.


Charlie's science program, RSO-Life gave us directions for creating a habitat for our critters, suggestions on where to find them, what to feed them, and how to keep them.  


We started by finding some moist sand to add to our container.



 We also found a nice little rotten tree limb section to add in.  At the end, we also added a couple rocks, some decaying leaves, and a few bits of carrot.





 We found some roly-polies under the tree limb, but had the best luck turning over rocks.



 After getting our little friends set up in their temporary environment, Charlie did the first lab. This was an observation of one of the isopods, and an activity to  decide how to classify them; as insects or crustaceans. 





Here's the little guy Charlie spent the most time observing. He was the largest one we found.

 



And here is a shot of the finished habitat.  A place any Land Crustacean would be proud to call his home. 



  Now, question is, will we be able to find any of the 20 or so of them again next week when it's time to do another lab???




1 comment:

G said...

This looks like a great learning project! My kids love to make habitats for backyard creatures - last week it was slugs!