Thursday, May 2, 2013

Biology Lab: Flowers



With all the winter weather getting us down lately, it was nice to start a biology unit on plants and flowers recently. Ben continues to work from the Miller-Levine (dragonfly) Biology text, while Will is reading from The Encyclopedia of Nature.  Charlie continues to love REAL Science Odyssey Life.

 I stopped at the florist the other day and brought home a couple stems of lillies to brighten our dining room table, and to be our victims for a dissection lab.

They don't suspect a thing!

The Horror!

Here's a totally fake-y photo of my darling home schooled children, happily enjoying the hell out of looking at the reproductive structures of a flower.



While the older boys did some drawing and labeling of flower parts, Charlie colored in a diagram from his science program (RSO).




And then came the looking through the microscope at the pollen.  





 And here's what we saw...

120x

400x

I love looking at things under the microscope, and spend far longer than the boys, just sitting there and gazing at...stuff.  I find it fascinating.  Looking forward to any signs of actual spring here, so maybe I can collect more things to look at!

1 comment:

G said...

Wow! We need to look at pollen under our microscope!

I went ahead and ordered the first volume of the concise Hakim series. I think we're going to go with American for a while!