Friday, May 31, 2013

The First North Americans-Charlie's Studies


Now that the school year is wrapping up for us, I want to go back and hit some of the highlights from our history studies, as I didn't have time to blog about them previously.
  This post will focus mostly on Charlie's 2nd grade readings and projects during our early Native Americans unit.

This year's study for history was the early American period.  I decided to concentrate on American history this year, rather than world, as I wanted to make one good pass at the formation of our country's government while Ben was in high school.   Early Modern is where we fell in the 4 year cycle this year anyway, so it felt like a perfect fit for us.


I chose Joy Hakim's A History of US series, in the concise editions, as our overview text for reading together.  History has always been a subject I've tried to keep the kids together on in some small way at least, and this text is what worked for us this year. We all have very much enjoyed this series.  Although the information is perhaps somewhat simple for a 9th grade course, it was perfect for William, and Charlie listened in as his interest dictated.  Ben also supplemented info from K12's American Odyssey as needed.




To start the year off, we spent a long time reading about the diverse tribes of Native Americans who lived here first. As the Hakim chapters covered the various tribes, the boys each read from other sources to get an in depth look. 

Charlie enjoyed reading with me from books such as North American Indians by Douglas Gorsline.  This little book gives a good introduction to many major tribes of the US.  The detailed illustrations look like beautiful watercolor paintings, and they seem to me to be respectful and accurate.  I've had this book for a number of years, and have always been charmed by it.



Charlie also read the Usborne title Who Were the First North Americans,   as well as If You Lived with the Hopi. Readings from Native Homes,  Life in a Longhouse Village and Life in an Anishinabe Camp, all by Bobbie Kalman, rounded out his reading.






During this time our read alouds were Children of the Longhouse by Joseph Bruhac, and several Native American stories from Keepers of the Night, also by Bruhac and Michael J. Caduto. 



As for projects, Charlie worked on a few simple things for this topic.  First, as he did his reading about each tribe, and learned where and how they lived in North America, he made a representation of a native home out of paper and we put it up on our map.



He also kept a notebook for narrations and drawings.  Some drawings were freehand, some he followed directions for in Draw Write Now, Book 3.  This is another book I've had forever and I'm glad I held onto it.  Charlie enjoyed working on his own with this book to create some pretty nice drawings!




His final project was to make a medicine pouch.  I picked up the kit for this at a local craft store.  This required very simple sewing with leather cording and a large needle.  Perfect for Charlie's skill level.



He was pleased with the outcome, and keeps rocks in it now.


That's about all for Charlie's tour through our early Native American studies.  Next time I'll post about the materials Will and Ben used during these weeks. 

No comments: