Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Model Wigwam Project



 We aren't the biggest hands-on-crafty kind of family, but I do like to throw out the option for a couple projects each school year if I find things that seem worthwhile.   This post is about Will's project during our Native American studies.
            
Ben didn't choose to work on any projects during this time, as he had sewed some moccasins not too long ago for a merit badge requirement, but Will and I really enjoyed working on a model wigwam project together, which I found directions for here.  

We used materials from our property such as willow twigs and birch bark (rather than basket reeds and felt as suggested in the instructions) to give a more natural look to the project. The birch bark was conveniently on the ground so we didn't have to peel any trees.

Some of our supplies

Will created a paper template for the footprint of the wigwam and transferred it to our base, which was a large piece of heavy, corrugated cardboard.  He then measured and marked off the positioning of the willow post holes.


 Adding in the willow posts was a task done over the course of a week, as we needed to let glue dry in one section before moving on to the next.






Once all the posts were tied, Will cut and began to add pieces of birch bark to cover the frame.  We found that hot glue worked best to hold the pieces in place.  

 
No trees were harmed in the making of this wigwam.


Here it is completed and with a bit of landscaping. 



And a peek inside...




Will and I were both pleased with how well it turned out!  It was a great companion project to his St. Croix Dalles landscape from this year's science lessons as well.


1 comment:

G said...

This is great! Reminds me of The Indian in the Cupboard somehow.