This week, the weather went back and forth from rainy and cold, to sunny and pleasant, and it seems our moods followed suit. Motivation was low for schoolwork, and when it was attempted, our brains seemed foggy and forgetful; not much was accomplished. It was a good thing we had some distractions planned; it helped to just get out and be social!
Monday
What can I say, it was Monday. We did some stuff and moved on.
Tuesday
Everyone was crabby and in a snit. The best thing we squeezed out of the day was listening to another chapter of The Lord of The Rings. Oh, and I picked some of our late season Prairie Spy apples.
Wednesday
We were up and out of the house early to see a play at the near-by Festival Theater with friends. We were excited to find out that the Festival was putting on Ichabod Crane and The Headless Horseman this year, as the boys had all read Washington Irving this past spring.
This particular production, featuring a combined cast of youth and
professional guest artists, begins as a live radio play set in 1946, and is upended
when its young audience intervenes, turning the tables on the broadcast
and taking the commonly tragic ending into their own hands.
It was cleverly done, had great moments of both suspense
and comic humor, and retained much of the original wording
and language of the story.
Some of our home school friends were in this one, too! And don't you just love this set? So cool and spooky. Perfect for this time of year!
Some of our home school friends were in this one, too! And don't you just love this set? So cool and spooky. Perfect for this time of year!
Thursday
Thursday was cancelled due to lethargy.
Actually, William worked on a still life painting of one of our Prairie Spy apples, so not all was lost!
Friday
A perfect fall day...sunny and crisp! While the older boys, along with some of their buddies, opted to do some raking for an elderly neighbor, Charlie and I visited an orchard with friends.
We hiked the wooded trail,
enjoyed a warming fire,
and of course tasted many apples and enjoyed fresh-pressed cider.
| He wears a bow tie now. Bow ties are cool. |
| Pressing a delicious blend of Honey Crisp and Haralson apples. |
Today, Saturday, it is back to rain and cold. The older boys are participating in Jamboree on the Air (JOTA) today with the Boy Scouts, and will be camping out tonight. The low for the evening will be 31F. Brrr. I think they love it though! As for me, I'll be enjoying a warm house and doing some planning for next week. Hope your week was good!


1 comment:
I love the Thursday excuse... we've had that happen too many times! The play looks great, and I do love the set.
I've camped in the freezing cold before, and don't know that I would choose to do it again! Hope they had a good time though.
Post a Comment