Thursday, April 17, 2008

An Artist and A Scholar

In the past few months, Charlie has made incredible leaps in his ability to draw recognizable objects, and has shown a nearly insatiable curiosity about letters and how they form words. He has gone from scribbles
to such masterpieces as "Elephant" and "Pig"


I absolutely love this stage in kids' art! The over-addition of appendages is a riot! Right now Charlie is going through reams of paper in his artistic frenzy, and so I apologize for all the clear- cutting of forests nationwide. It is a necessary evil.


As far as letters and pre-reading go, I am anticipating yet another child who will teach himself to read. How lucky I have been to have had so little work to do in this area! Charlie loves being read to and "reading" on his own. He is continually naming letters from the print he sees around him and over the past few months has learned all the sounds they make. It is hard to reprimand him when he declares "P-P-P! Poop starts with P."

No comments: