Thursday, May 29, 2008

College Bound Boy Still Wearing Pampers!

Charlie, my Charlie. He'll be four at the end of August and he is only now taking the slightest interest in using the potty. I am sooooo tired of diapers. You would think I would have a handle on this whole aspect of parenting by now, but it is one of the most trying phases for me. I won't bother with details here because we all know what goes on in these first weeks of potty training, but suffice to say I think I deserve better. We are keeping at it though, with lots of reminders and daily accidents, and I hope that something clicks soon. I'm not going the pull-up route as I think it's a move sideways rather than ahead. Cloth training pants all the way. I'd love to hear any advice on the matter.

I like this little tutorial, but it's not warm enough yet to be so pantless outdoors. And here is what I've read recently from
Sister Mary Martha
. Humorous! Some days, yes, I do think I need spiritual intervention in this matter.

A
friend recently told me about someone she knows who began potty training with her newborn infant and was completely successful with it by some grotesque age under 1 year. Pfft. Whatever.
Too late for that method, I guess.

I know, I know, he'll just catch on when he's good and ready.
In the meanwhile, put in a prayer to Saint Elizabeth Seton for me, willya?

3 comments:

Barbara said...

The poopy little secret of the early potty-trainers is that the parents are potty-trained, not the kid. They are always hanging their infants over pots and sopping up continual mistakes. Charlie is so smart - he probably knows the whole deal already and is just waiting for you to bribe him with something marvelous. Why not cash? A buck a piddle in the pot. Joe was cheap. He did it for a vat of popcorn.

At that age Michelle, you'll be done in a day (provided your bribe is good) - have no fear but fear itself!

Michelle said...

Yes, I think you are right. I need a fabulous bribe. I did buy a bag of Hershey's Miniatures candy bars I *Love* those cute little things. (You can just guess whats coming, right?) I told him he would get a candy bar if he made nice on the potty. Well, evidently chocolate is not worth it to him. He has had one piece while I have had to eat half the bag in order to feel like we have accomplished something. I had better go pick up more just in case he changes his mind.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.