Friday, May 9, 2008

Track and Field Day



Each year since Ben was Kindergarten age we have participated the local christian school's Track and Field Day. This little school is very friendly towards homeschoolers and gives us an open invite every year to come out and enjoy an afternoon full of picnicking and activities. We seem to luck out with beautiful weather each year and this year was no exception. Sunny, not too hot, not too cold. Ben and Will both participated in all the events which included dashes, soccer kicks, long jump, hurdles, softball throw, and for the older kids shot put and discus throws and a baton relay. Ben loved participating in the shot/discus events and the baton relay as this was the first year he was old enough for the events. Will's favorites were the soccer kick and hurdles. Those are his faves every year! As for me, I loved watching the long jump, baton relay and hurdles. It was cool to see Ben throw shot this year, too. I had to tell him all about his aunt Thelma* and her glory days of shot put in high school. He was mightily impressed. They did offer events for Charlie's age this year but I thought it wouldn't be quite worth the effort. Charlie much preferred to play on the playground anyway while I chased after the big kids. There were lots of our homeschooling friends there, too, and we enjoyed spending time visiting between events.

We won't know how the boys placed in all the events until the school has sent out their certificates, but I can tell you that in the long jump this year Ben land
ed a 7ft. 10 in. jump! That's six inches farther than his best jump last year! Not surprising with those long legs! William had a really good throw in the softball event, too, with a lob of 49 feet! All in all this was a really fun day. Track and field with the boys always brings me back to the fun I had at my own track and field days in grade school. I'm so glad to share in this day with the boys!


*Names changed to protect the innocent







2 comments:

Barbara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

Oh, how I wish I could have been there to see Ben "put" the shot! The pictures are fantastic! Tell him to keep it up!