Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Storm! 2008

We had a nasty hail storm happen here back at the end of May. Luckily we were on the northern edge of the storm and things were not as bad as they could have been.

We only had golf ball sized hail.


Folks a few miles south of us had
softball size hail, and there was a tornado that lifted up only 3 miles from our house. Yipes! I do not like the way the weather is shaping up this season. We had plenty of damage to both of our cars (Noooo! Not my new van!!!), lots of holes in our siding, and enough damage to our roof to warrant a complete tear-off and re-roof (Nooo! Not our 1 year-old roof!) Arrrrggh! I guess that's why I didn't post about this right away. It hurts to think about it.

Here is some video of the nasty hail in question. It took hours for the piles of hail to finally melt! You can see the holes it made in our rain spout. The siding on the north side of the house has the same type of damage.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

OH NO! LOOK at the size of that hail! I live in hail central and I only have seen quarter size, just this year. The noise was so horrible that I thought it was a tornado, and I was sure that the roof would collapse. It really was terrifying, especially for the kids. Just before we moved in here (four) years ago, the roof was totally replaced due to hail. So destructive... and look at the piles Steve is shoveling! Man, you guys were hit. I'm so sorry.

About the van... down here in Tejas they tell us not to fret about the hail dents until after the car has cooked in some good, hot weather. Hot sun seems to pop a good many of them out.

So, drive the heck down here. Its 99 in the shade today...

Michelle said...

Yes, the noise from the hail hitting the house (and the windows!!) was just awful! It is the kind of noise that really causes one to feel panicky! We were in the basement because of tornado warnings and still the noise was horrendous. Steve and I just kept looking at each other in disbelief.
The boys didn't seem upset, but we didn't necessarily let on to the possible danger.....

Hmmm....99 in the shade? I'll keep my dents, thank you, M'am.