Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Yes! We Have No Bananas!




But not too long from now we will have plenty of Banana
Peppers, along with tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, squash, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, radishes, melons, beans and pumpkins! Whew!

We spent a mighty long day out in the sun this past Saturday planting up the rest of our garden with Nana.


Everybody got in on the action and all the help was greatly appreciated. Here Ben and Nana carefully plant our bush beans and mark the rows....


Steve put up a fence for our vine plants to grow on. This should be a real space saver!
Will was a great help in raking grass to put in between our rows to help keep weeds down.


Charlie was our Jack-Of-All-Trades, helping with general hole digging, dirt stomping, and plant watering.


Besides getting the vegetable plants in, I transplanted a lot of rhubarb, too. The poor things were so damaged from the hail storm the 25th of May, I sure hope they will continue to grow this season! We really got a lot done as far as planting and weeding goes, and I have the sunburned back to prove it! I can't wait for all those tasty veggies now!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

A great effort that will really pay off! I miss that fertile midwest black soil. Mary looks great - fun for the kids, I bet, to have her helping. Ben looks SO TALL. I can't believe its him!

That rhubarb is as tough as nails - I am sure it will be beautiful. It won't grow down here - and I miss it. You should see it wrapped as an exotic item down here in the Whole Foods! You'd laugh if you saw old granny rhubarb cosseted in celophane for like, 8 bucks a pound. I can't bring myself to pay for it. Grandma Helen would slap some sense into me, asking where I got off paying that for rhubarb.

Michelle said...

Ouch! I'll have to overnight you some rhubarb so you don't have to drain your bank account. Grandma Helen would be perfectly justified in her actions! Ha!

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

I am soooooo jealous of your green thumb!!! And at the risk of getting myself in trouble...what the heck do you do with rhubarb?

Michelle said...

Well, after the ritual sacrifice to the rhubarb god, we pick it, put it in cello-wrap and ship it down to Texas where it sells for ridiculous amounts of money. If we're feeling really crazy, we use it in all sorts of baking such as strawberry-rhubarb pie, rhubarb crumble, or the delicious rhubarb coffee cake I made just yesterday. If you really love rhubarb, you can just pick it and munch it on the spot. Some like to dip the end in sugar.

As far as having a green thumb, lets wait and see how the harvest turns out. As for the rhubarb, Babs was right, it is virtually indestructible. It has perked up and is growing again like no one's business.