Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Completely Frivolous Impulse Purchase


Yesterday, shortly before picking up Ben from camp, I stopped in at a tiny general store to buy some ice creams for the boys. After the arduous selection process involved with frozen dairy confections was finished, I was horrified to look in my wallet and find myself without enough money to cover the bill. I was ready to cancel the ice cream order but the young girl at the counter wouldn't allow it and just said "bring the rest by the next time you're in town". How nice! I love small towns. Anyway, I made sure to stop back there this morning after getting Ben to his destination so I could make good on my loan.

That's when I saw her.



Oh my gosh! They are making Flatsies again!Does anyone else remember these little, flat, pose-able dolls? I sooo loved Flatsies when I was a little girl! I remember flipping through the selection at K-Mart each time I got to go there with my parents. When I was older, I would go up to the Flea market behind Midway C
enter with my girlfriend Carolyn and sometimes, if we were lucky, we could find a stray Flatsy on some random table. That was back in the days when Flea markets had fun, interesting items and antiques that were truly great deals. Back before antiques were "popular".


I knew I couldn't leave without her. A new Flatsy! Oh how fun! I just couldn't help myself! And really, what is $5.99 in the bigger scheme of things?

And she won't be lonely, that's for sure!

My Flatsy collection..out of storage for the occasion.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so remember the flatsy dolls,Let me get this straight before I continue, No...I did not play with them but I saw them day in and day out because my older sister had a collection of them that she would never part with. I had not seen them in years and my world had become 4 dimensional now for almost24 years until I visited her blog site. Low and behold there they are! I hope I can sleep tonight! They always were a bit scary to me! :)

Mike (Michelle's kid brother)

Barbara said...

Mike is hillarious... creeped out by the flatsies!

I had one treasured flatsie, but she didn't have real hair, just molded hair - is that possible. I really loved her. She had a brown velvet minidress.

I never knew about your devotion to flatsies! That is darling. You kept them in great shape! Gets me thinking about my favorite lost toys of youth...

Michelle said...

Really Mike? Afraid of the Flatsies? Then I wonder how you felt about Mrs. Beasley? Remember her with her polka-dot body, short yellow hair and glasses? I seem to remember that she talked, too. I think I liked her a lot as a child but looking back, I wonder how I could have. Creeeeepy!

Ah yes, lost toys of youth...don't think I have any. My parents save Ev. Ry. Thing. I have ended up with a few things here at my house, mostly dolls like Cher, Bionic Woman, Charlies Angels, and the Sunshine Family. And no little girls to play with them!

Anonymous said...

I think the flatsie phobia is something like having a clown phobia. That fixated stare they have is bone chilling.

Michelle said...

aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

I'm telling Mom!

Michelle said...

Sweet Mother of Bozo! Is That what I'll see every time you leave a comment????

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Only on that post. I'm actually a bit creeped out by it too!

Michelle said...

That's a relief. I think you should do a different picture each time to match the theme of your comment. Because, you have that kind of time to invest, right?