Saturday, August 9, 2008

Fort Snelling Part Two-The Photos


I was hoping to have this post up a little closer to part one, but it seems like we've been too busy around here lately for me to find the time to s
ort my pictures. Well, finally I've found the time! So, without further ado, here is Fort Snelling-Part Two.


Upon arrival to the fort, we visited the schoolhouse for a little orientation and a rousing sing along with the music teacher. We joined in on period songs such as Old Dan Tucker, Follow the Drinking Gourd, The Battle Hymn of the Republic and yes, even Dixie. It never ceases to amaze me when re-enactors look so startlingly authentic!



In the Fort bakery, we received a period recipe for hard-tack. Hard-tack, supposedly tasty enough when fresh, was part of the civil war soldier's daily ration at the fort, along with a hunk of meat, some beans, rice and sugar. Not too shabby. The boys are looking forward to making and trying this. Supposedly it keeps so well that you could make it tomorrow and still be able to consume it 30 years from now. Hmmm...time to stock the emergency shelter!


Over at the Fort kitchen, it was soooo hot! The women were baking a gingerbread cake for the ladies tea in the commander's house. We arrived just as they were taking the cake out of the dutch oven, which had been nestled in a heap of coals. This cake smelled so wonderful and we have a recipe for it to try one day soon. I promise I'll post the recipe and a review when we do it!



One of the most fun events on the parade grounds was the 1860's baseball game. Everyone was invited to join in, young and old. We all took our turns at bat and playing the outfield. It was just too much fun not to.

Here's the pitch......



And he connects! The crowd goes wild! Huzzah!!


I just have to include this video of Charlie rounding the bases. It is so cute! After helping him at bat, one of the soldiers offered to run with him around the bases. Charlie was pleased as punch to have him do it so Steve and I stood back and watched. In this video, Charlie is on third base and should be bringing a run in to home. Should be being the operative phrase here. Watch what happens as the soldier points the way for Charlie (he's the little one in the white shirt.) Hilarity ensues.







After working up a thirst playing baseball, we headed over to the sutlery to pick up some root beers for the kids. Several sutlers served Fort Snelling over the years, and inventories of their stock were used to recreate the contents of the store. Visitors may actually purchase replicas of items that were sold in the store during the 1820s. Only the prices are modern!

Here Charlie pauses outside the gun shed to enjoy a big swig of his soda. Inside the shed are 12- and 6-pounder field guns, their size determined by the weight of the solid cannon ball they fired.



Certainly the best known of Fort Snelling’s buildings, this round tower also may be the first. Built around 1820, it is now likely the oldest standing building in Minnesota. The Round Tower may have been designed as a site of last-ditch defense; its musket slits face even inside the fort’s walls.



Charlie climbing the round tower staircase.



Ben got a chance to send a semaphore message from the top of the round tower to a waiting soldier below. Under most conditions, the signal corps was responsible for communications over long distances. An easy system was to send messages by flags.



Decoding Ben's message..."I'm hot".




Of course soldiers were everywhere! It was interesting to stop and talk with them, or just sit back and watch their demonstrations.



This man was particularly enthusiastic about being a 1st MN. volunteer. I liked him a lot. His uniform was all hand-stitched in the finest wool, and dyed according to the standards of the time. He told us about their recent trip to Gettysburg for a reenactment. As they arrived each man was handed an envelope containing the name of a man from the real 1st Minnesota volunteers who he was to portray that day. The envelope also contained the fate of that real man at the battle of Gettysburg. Eerie.


This man was also a pleasure to listen to. Very knowledgeable, and so dignified!


This soldier was set up and ready for the kids to have a turn at the drum! Charlie was very cute when he tried this, as he tapped the drum so lightly you could scarce hear it. I wonder why? You would think it would be intuitive for a 3-year old to beat the tar out of a noisemaker when given carte blanche!



These guys all looked to be about high-school age. They did such a fantastic job playing! I wish I had taken a video.



Advancing soldiers during a skirmish demonstration.



Demonstrating how to reload while on your back in battle. Hot tip: Don't get the powder in your eyes!



After their demonstrations, the soldiers would come over to the crowd and look for "recruits". Ben took the chance to "sign up" and hold a weapon. My mom reminded me that when my brother and I were kids they took us out to Ft. Snelling and the 1820's soldiers would look for recruits and sit the child on a stool upon which had been placed a piece of paper that said "16". Then when the recruiting officer asked "Do you swear you are over 16?", the child could honestly answer "Yes!" Back then they even gave my brother a certificate of induction when he did it. Funny.


Well, there you have it. A small fraction of the sights and sounds we experienced on our trip out to the Old Fort. It was so much fun and we look forward to going again next summer...perhaps during their World War 2 weekend???????





3 comments:

Barbara said...

What great pictures and story - we want to go too! The last "enactment" place I went to was Fort William, up on Superior (so wonderful) with my family. Scott briefly went to visit some civil war guys down here, but the uniforms were SO expensive that it prohibited him from joining in his grad school days. Everyone was so serious too.

Can you imagine you and me as re-enactor wives, cooking stew in the open field, or dancing jigs in the sweaty lodge kitchen? Ha ha. Hijinks would abound. I could get into the rum and you could pretend to beat me. The kids love that stuff. I'd really love to call everyone "gov'na" like in Mary Poppins.

That video of Charlie was a hoot. Precious!

Barbara said...

Oh, and I'd gladly wear false rotten teeth. Some people are sensitive about looking stupid, but I got good at it in high school drama and haven't looked back.

Michelle said...

Steve wanted to join up with the group at Fort Snelling when he was in high school. His parents vetoed that idea for the same reason...the uniform and weapon were too costly!

I would love to get dressed up and pretend, to an irritating and alarming extent, that I am living in a specific time period. I would refuse to talk to anyone who asked a question about "what it was like back when.." and insist that they treat me as though I were completely authentic. Oh, what fun! I love the part about you getting into the rum and me beating you, too. Just like old times....

Remember all the How to Host A Murder parties Jay and I would put on? I really love to dress up and act the part. Too bad I was so shy in high school. I would have loved acting.....

If you wear false, rotten teeth, I will wear a wig with lice in it! You're right, the kids will adore us!