August. This is the part of summer that I resent. It gets too hot. The weeds that I have heroically battled through June and July finally get the advantage and entangle my feet wherever I go. I will no longer be able to stop them.
The activity level has become draining....another invitation to the beach is like an insult. I look at my house and think I cannot go anywhere. I am so far behind on everything. Laundry, cleaning, painting.
And worst of all, paradoxically, we are running out of time to do anything. If an activity has not already been planned or executed, it will not happen this summer. File it away for next year, I guess.
The Minnesota State Fair begins in two weeks. If you grew up going to that fair, you know what that means. As soon as it is over, so is summer. I might as well haul out the christmas decor right now.
I am looking forward to our next camping trip, though. We'll be heading north, where it is cooler. The pine air in the morning gives me such a thrill! Of course I am positive that while we are gone all our tomatoes will ripen at once and perish on the vine.
OK. Rant over. You may go now.
4 comments:
That just about sums it up... I feel the crunch, even tough I planned very little.
I wanted to caulk my baseboards to the walls, and instead, too many times I have caulked my tush to the couch.
Protestations to go the the pool are a bummer. I go only because Helena begs and begs with large, luminous eyes. It takes forever and I am so tired to policing the baby as she continually tries to do away with herself.
Look back on all the great stuff you've done, despite hailstorms and home improvements. That's a lot! That's a comfort, in the face of crabby.
Enjoy that pine air and, oh, how I envy you those cheese curds. And the princesses carved out of butter. Love 'em.
I envy the butter princesses. What an eccentric honor to freeze your tush off while someone carves your face in fat! Woohoo!
Hey, instead of those lamb butter molds, I would love to have my butter bust on the table for Easter dinner. or would that be too elegant a statement next to my melamine crab plates?
The fair time is so exciting to me even though it symbolizes the end of summer. I find it funny that I look forward to seeing and doing the same thing every year but it still remains just as fun as the previous 25 times I did it. This does include seeing the butter sculptures (of course I have to get a malt in the dairy building too!) I wonder when they will stop using Freddy Kruger for a scare in the haunted hause. He is so 80's.
Mike-Do they really still use Freddy Krueger in the Haunted House?! You have to wonder if any of the "young 'uns even know who he is!
Steve and I were just talking tonight after dinner and sharing our favorite fair memories. I am very nostalgic about the fair and even the mere mention of the haunted house, the dairy building, Mexican Village, or the French fry booth brings back a flood of good memories for me. It seems I remember things from fairs stretching back forever.....
We won't be able to make it this year so you'll need to eat some mini-donuts for me!
Post a Comment