We have fifteen chickens right now. Thirteen of them look like this:
Small, pale comb, no wattle. Demure hen-like look.
Then there are two who look like this:
Bright red comb, wattle and cheeks. Typical rooster "Ask yourself, Do feel lucky" look.
I am suspicious. Perhaps the two of you have just matured a little more quickly. After all, the other hens will eventually have all the bright red accoutrement you now sport. On the other hand, I may wake some morning soon to the enchanting sounds of Cock-A-Doodle-Doo. Time will tell.
2 comments:
I am suspicious too! Roosters scare me with those spurs. Are roosters necessary for good eggs, I wonder, or is that just a myth?
Yes, I am concerned about those spurs, too. Mostly around Charlie. Steve maintains that all these chickens are hens, but still, I am suspicious. Until I see an egg drop out of them, I'm treating them like roosters. I am asserting myself as the alpha rooster (yes, seriously.) so that they learn early enough any bad behavior will be interpreted as a deep longing for the feel of cold, sharpened steel.
Roosters are only necessary if you want fertilized eggs in order to let the hens incubate chicks. Both types (fertilized and not) taste the same.
Post a Comment