Saturday, August 16, 2008

I See A New Use For My Fondue Pot

Ben finished up his time at Ultimate Survival day camp on Friday, and had a great experience. The Nature Center has always provided worthwhile programs when we've gone there on field trips, and this extended visit for Ben was no exception. They had the kids learning some very important and very useful wilderness survival skills. On their own, the kids had a chance to build shelters, start fires, navigate with compasses and forage for wild edibles. All very cool stuff. On the last day, one of the highlights was trying out some of those wild edibles. The tastiest of these was chocolate covered crickets.

Mmm..Mmmmm crickets! Finger lickin' good!


Of course if you don't have the comfort of chocolate with you in your survival situation you'll just have to eat your crickets the way God intended...lightly toasted and totally naked.

Here is the recipe Ben came home with scrawled on his course book:


Ben also brought home some "extra" crickets for us to dip in chocolate and enjoy as a family snack.
They reminded me of a Nestles Crunch Bar. Not bad at all.

Here is a movie Ben made about how to prepare crickets:

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Just SO funny and creative. I loved the screams from the cricket. Wonderful bloopers, and your English accents are spot on, gov'nah.

Even with chocolate, I cannot imagine eating a cricket. In fact, I feel a little woozy thinking about it...

Michelle said...

Honestly, they were not at all bad. I will eat just about anything if it is covered in chocolate though, so maybe I am not a good barometer for taste in this case.

Besides, I had to eat them or else forever look like a wimp. Raising 3 boys I cannot afford a slip-up of that magnitude. I noticed Steve only had one though and I think he is freaked out by it.

On the other hand, when I came a hair's breadth away from inadvertently serving my family garden fresh broccoli with cabbage looper worms the other day, we all took a rain check. We do have our limits.