Thursday, September 4, 2008

He Was A Beautiful Butterfly

Resting in our butterfly garden 8/24/08

Before we left on our trip last week, we had five of our nine butterflies emerge from their cocoons, all within a few hours of one another. They were all males (we turned them upside down, silly) and completely gorgeous!


We were able to catch one of them..live and in color...as he emerged!




Thanks to Ben for film production!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Another winner by Do It Now! I loved it! We loved it! Beatrice said Bug! Bug! Buzz is so well trained. I loved him in Madame Butterfly.

P.S. Our butterflies that we have had transform in captivity used to "bleed" something awful. Do all butterflies do that?

Michelle said...

Hmm. Bleed? Is it actually red fluid? I know ours do "drip" a bit when they come out of the chrysalis. I assume that is just a natural moisture (ie waste)in there with them. It is always (in my experience) clear. Have you raised monarchs, or another type? Maybe that fluid varies in color by type of butterfly. We have only done Monarchs so that is the only experience I can offer.