We got a letter in the mail yesterday. Yup. Personal correspondence. In the mailbox. You know, that thing that holds your bills and junk advertising? Yes, that. There was a real live letter in there yesterday. Had a stamp on the envelope and everything. That doesn't happen very often anymore, does it?
Back in the day, after I had made a couple tours of Europe and acquired a cornucopia of snazzy new Euro-friends, the mailbox was the coolest hang-out spot in my neighborhood. There seemed to be a constant flow of blue airmail envelopes cascading through the slot into my waiting hands. And if I didn't happen to get a letter on any particular day, there was always the hope that a friend down the street or across town did and would be sharing what news the informative pencil strokes had brought. To return the favor, my friends and I spent long hours at Embers composing replies, sometimes in German, to our friends who were probably as anxious for mail as we were. Yes, those were the days.
When did that all end? When did we stop handwriting letters? I know I was writing regularly to an out of state friend as late as the early 90's (egads, granny, that long ago?), but why did that all stop? Could it be the dawn of the interwebs and Email? Or is that an all too convenient scapegoat? Did we all just become too busy or self-absorbed to pick up a pen and jot a few happenings?
Now, I admit email and blogging surely are efficient for sharing pictures and everyday happenings that might not otherwise be communicated by letter. It has been immense fun peeking into my friend's ( in real life) blog to see what her kiddos are up to or to share a joke. But really, perhaps I should send her a letter sometime. Just for fun. If I remember how.
As for the letter we received yesterday, it was hilarious! It had great pictures! It gave us an update into the summer fun and tragedies (damn voles!) of two of our favorite people. It was really like reading a blog. Only it was a Letter. Pretty cool.
Watch your mailbox Sequim, we'll be retuning the favor in kind real soon!
Love From,
The Monkeys and the Monkey Trainers
2 comments:
OK, now I am impressed. You wrote letters in German? The only German that stuck with me after high school was just enough to help my friend and I try to find the nice German couple that helped us home after we accidentally drank too much at the local brewery. Yes, I said accidentally! Those sneaky Germans don't tell you how strong their beer is compared to American beer! And my friend learned that if the waitress laughs when you order a liquor, don't drink it if you want to wake up in the morning!
Charlotte,
Ich hatte nie ein Problem nach Hause zu kommen als Ich betrunken wurde...Es gab immer einen netten Jungen, der helfen wollte!
Post a Comment