
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month?
Do yourself a favor and make an appointment to go and have your girls checked out. I did this morning and I have to say it was such an easy test to have done. It was not at all painful, I wouldn't really even say it was uncomfortable. And it will go a long way for peace of mind for me. We are lucky to have digital mammography available locally at our brand new clinic and hospital. Digital mammography is a relatively new technology and there currently are a small number of facilities with digital units. With computer-aided reading, it is a highly accurate and in-depth screening and diagnostic tool. The technique used is the same for x-ray mammography, but with digital imaging, an x-ray like image is available on the computer screen immediately and is ready for review in a shorter time.
One interesting tidbit about our new digital mammogram technology...it's existence in our small community hospital was made possible largely through a generous matching contribution by Horst Rechelbacher of Aveda salon fame. Way to go, Horst! An awesome contribution to the community!
One interesting tidbit about our new digital mammogram technology...it's existence in our small community hospital was made possible largely through a generous matching contribution by Horst Rechelbacher of Aveda salon fame. Way to go, Horst! An awesome contribution to the community!
2 comments:
I have been thinking about this and reading about it - I really should get one done, but I think you can't when you are nursing, for some reason.
Does the digital mam squish them like the old one, like pancake them (to use a medical term)?
It was SO uncomfortable for me last time. They really tightened the screws.
As far as having a mam while nursing goes, I think the breasts are more dense due to milk ducts, but it should still be able to be read accurately by a radiologist who knows you are nursing. I would think they would view a mom nursing a toddler differently than one nursing a new infant as well. Nursing less often=fewer changes in the breast? Remember, I am not a doctor. Only play one to my family.
Yep, it still pancakes them. They inflate them with a bike pump again afterwards though, which is thoughtful. It is the same procedure as the x-ray mams, only the way the images are produced is different-digitally vs. x-ray.
It wasn't uncomfortable for me, even though I anticipated it being so. I have heard tell that it can be uncomfortable and I wonder if size makes a difference? Maybe that's a dumb thing to assume, but I'm thinking in terms of more tissue being compressed. I don't have a lot going on up top so maybe that makes a difference? I would imagine certain times of your cycle would make you more sensitive, too. The person doing the procedure might make a difference, too. Did she look like Frau Farbissina?
Post a Comment