I have been receiving so many phone calls from both parties these past couple weeks reminding me to vote that I have really started having nightmares about actually forgetting to vote! Other variations on the dream have me getting lost on the way to the polling place or accidentally voting for the wrong candidate. It has been a long week. Please give me a break here in the eleventh hour! I'm thinking, if there must be more phone calls today, wouldn't it be fun to hear from some past presidential candidates?
Here are a few of my favorites I wouldn't mind a gentle reminder from..

William Henry Harrison (Whig 1840)
Just 30 days in office this one. He would be a good candidate for reminding people to get things done before it's too late!

Gus Hall, (Communist 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984)
Ran for president 4 times. That makes for a ton of reminder phone calls!

Ross Perot (Reform 1992, 1996)
Yes, I voted for Ross Perot. Admit it, so did you. And tell me, had he been elected would we be any worse off now? I mourn the number of informative presidential charts we missed out on. A friendly tap on the shoulder from Ross reminding me to vote would chase away all the voodoo.

Dan Quayle (Republican 1989)
Yes, I know. He was the vice-presidential candidate. But I needed a segue into this next candidate.. because,
"Mr. Senator, you're no...."

Jack Kennedy (Democrat 1960)
What if America had forgotten to vote for JFK? The fairy tale romance we had with The Pillbox Hat might never have happened.

Me (Debutante 1992)
Whew! That was a lot of work to justify posting a 16 year old photo of myself in a pillbox on the interwebs. 'Cos you know, that's what the L11HT is all about. Told you it was lame!
Now get out there and vote!

2 comments:
I guess I am commenting past the 11th hour, but I too must advertise my connection to greatness. I am married to a guy who is related to the fattest president, Taft. Hubby also has the distinction of having washed his hands in a bathroom with Dan Quayle and said Hi over the hand dryer. I also live across the freeway from Ross Perot's son's ranch. Colleen shook Regan's hand and never washed it and slapped me with it, and Joe and I were almost run over by Leon Panetta at the back of the White House because he was in a rush to report to Clinton. We both lived to tell the tale.
So, I guess I am in the VIP circle of greatness, yeah.
Ben tells me that Taft once got stuck in the white house bathtub, so massive was his girth. What an honor for Scott! Ben thinks it is entirely cool that they are related.
Your VIP circle of greatness, complete with a slap in the face from Ronnie Reagan, outshines my weary pillbox hat/JFK connection.
I'm still waiting for the right time to pull out those Grassy Knoll photos, though.
Post a Comment