Monday, December 8, 2008

Advent Reading-Snowflake Bentley


Since everyone was all excited around here about our first "stay-on-the-ground" snow, I thought it would be fun to pull out Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline B. Martin. Wilson Bentley loved snow more than anything from a very young age. With a camera and microscope, he turned his love for glorious design in nature into a gift for the world. A fascinating true-life story! Here is an interesting interview with W. A. Bentley from 1925. Many of the quotes and information in the book appear to come from this article. What a character he must have been!

Charlie wasn't as interested in the Bentley book so I pulled out a little Scholastic book I've had for ages called Millions of Snowflakes by Mary McKenn Siddals. Ridiculously simple text, yet very sweet to read to the little ones. My boys have all loved it!

After reading, we settled in for some crafting of paper snowflakes and beaded "ice crystals". We hung some up in the dining room window, and others in our living room. I think we'll make ever more to hang in other windows, too. How can such a simple little decoration be so charming? And the kids had a blast making them. To make the beaded ones, check out the instructions at Family Fun Magazine (they're in the Dec./Jan. hard copy as well). If you need a refresher on folding paper snowflakes, here's a quick little video. Have fun!


No comments: