We started off the week with Snowflake Bentley. by Mary Azarian. We love reading this one every year and I always say "We need to own this one!" So far I have not made good on that intention. This book is an biographical story of Wilson Bentley, lover of snow, photographer extraordinaire. The illustrations are woodcuts and their charm matches that of the story. The main story is on told on the larger part of the page, while extra detail is given on the sidebars, which makes this book span a variety of ages. We spent a lazy afternoon crafting our own snowflakes to decorate our windows.

We'd like to get W. A. Bentley's book of published snowflake pictures, Snow Crystals, and really enjoy some time marveling at these tiny puffs we take for granted as they fall to earth these winter days... when you see these photographs, you really begin to understand his obsession.
Millions of Snowflakes was Charlie's read on this day, as he didn't have as much interest in Snowflake Bentley. This one is in our permanent collection and is a super-simple, super-sweet rhyming book about the joy of falling flakes.
Next up this week, in anticipation of decorating our tree on the weekend (We find it more enjoyable to wait until the 3rd Sunday of Advent. No Thanksgiving tree for us) is Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree. This is a fun one and I'd like to add it to our collection someday. It's the story of a beautiful, albeit too tall, Christmas tree. See just how many more trees will grace the homes of others when the trimmings of Mr. Willowby's tree are "recycled". We made darling stacking paper trees to go along with this book. (H/T Bella Dia)
I like Winter by Lois Lenski is a new one for us this year and I love it! Ummm, can I just say I'd like to own this? It's a 1950's classic with sweet drawings and simple text. From sledding and skating to the birth of Jesus, the niceness of winter is visited in classic Lenski style. Perfect for Charlie and appreciated by all. Because this book is so sweet, we made these sweet and tasty gumdrop trees to decorate the table. The boys want them as part of their place settings so they can nibble at them after dinner. What the heck. Tis the season. (H/T Bella Dia.)
Next week...Jan Brett week! Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment