Friday, January 9, 2009

The Elusive Pileated Woodpecker


I have been thinking about woodpeckers all day today. (I know. I am just that exciting.) This morning I was reading a post over at Restoration Place about a Red-bellied Woodpecker who has been visiting their feeder. A short while later I snapped a photo of this Hairy woodpecker who hangs out outside our kitchen window on a daily basis. Cute, no?



We also have a few Downy Woodpeckers that hang out and are exact clones of the Hairy, just smaller. I think woodpeckers have to be my favorite winter bird, and although I like seeing all the hairy, downy, red-bellied and red-headed varieties, I do so pine for a glimpse of the Pileated Woodpecker. I am lucky if I see one once in a winter and when I do, a I am absolutely smitten! They are so wild looking, and if ever there was a prehistoric bird flying around my backyard, the Pileated would be it (in close competition with the Kingfisher I saw a few years ago). Cool bird. Very, very cool.

So, I have been waiting patiently this winter to see one. I kinda feel like it may never happen sometimes, it seems so rare. Until today. Cos guess what people? I just happened to be looking out the living room window at just the right moment to see him (her?) pecking away....Holy Headgear Batman! It's A Pileated Woodpecker!!



Could it be a woodpecker? Or is it just a broken tree branch with light playing tricks on my eye? OK. So that photo looks a little bit like all those 70's photos of Bigfoot, or the one from our recent Madeline Island trip, below. Look! There he is on the far left! Yowza!



OK. Enough of that. Back to the bird.


How about this one? See him now? I am so thrilled, but wish I could have gotten closer for a better look. He was pretty far out into our front yard and I had to take the picture through the window and the porch screen so it's not the best. I am so excited though!! Can you tell?

1 comment:

Caryl said...

That is one cool bird!