Monday, February 9, 2009

Lest You Worry

We received a call recently originating from an undisclosed location in the desert.


It was from one of our very wealthy and eccentric Uncles touching base to make sure we were doing OK here in the frozen north. Seems some recent posts I have made have given the impression we are about to jump off the silo in our cabin-fever-induced depression. Fear not. Despite the harsh clime we have managed to laugh heartily in winter's face and enjoy a few moments of fun in the frosty air...

Exhibit A-Ben (left) at winter camp with the Boy Scouts. Packing- in their gear with sleds. This was a 3 day adventure for Ben and Steve went along, too. Some older boys and adult leaders earned their "Zero Hero" badge for sleeping outdoors in a shelter when the overnight low dropped below zero.



Exhibit B
-Snow Tubing. 3 hours of snow down the backs of our jackets. WooHoo!


I spent most of my time on the bunny hills with Charlie although I did try a couple of the more tame monster hills, too. The boys were really having fun and encouraging me to go on one of the really steep, lots- of -bumps, super-fast-G-forces-in-action, something-about-7-levels-and-an-inferno type of hills, but I quickly assessed the scattered bones and mangled tubes at the end of the run and beat a hasty retreat. Maybe next time. (yeah, right)



Exhibit C-Cross-Country Skiing on the Eastern Lawns.


This is one of my biggest pleasures in winter and it is so nice to have the room to do it right outside our door. Steve and I sometimes put on our headlamps and go out skiing in the surrounding fields at night. Beautiful!
Ben has taken an interest in skiing these past couple of years, too.




Exhibit D-Sledding. By law I must provide my children with 875 hours of sledding each school year. Oh wait. That's supposed to be 875 hours of homeschool instruction each year. Whoopsie. My bad!



Exhibit F-Hot Cocoa. 'Nuff said.



Lots more fun planned for February including winter hikes and horse drawn wagon rides in the woods. I think we'll make it through to spring. It's just around the corner, right?

No comments: