
Monday-We began the day by looking at some photos and a video tour of the Robie House in Chicago, IL. Built by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1910. We have been reading The Wright 3 by Blue Balliet recently and decided to get more information on the house. Researching the house fits right into our current period of history study.
Both boys went quickly through their math pages. Ben is still working in Math U See and Will with Horizons. Will did some copy work and Ben practiced his cursive. For history we read about the Christmas Truce of 1914 from True Stories of The First World War. We did a bit of Latin, too, after a prolonged break. Charlie enjoyed working with some Lauri Letters and word puzzles.
I turned the boys loose before lunchtime so they could play outside. It is about 60 degrees and climbing so they are really excited. No one is wearing a jacket. They are currently flying a kite.
Tuesday-A typical day with Math, Latin and Copy work in the morning. In the afternoon the boys did some independent reading. Ben is currently reading Rascal by Sterling North and Will is reading a Time Warp Trio book. For read aloud we have gone back to Swallows and Amazons which was sorely neglected for awhile. I think all the "They tacked left, then tacked right, then left again. Then they boiled water for tea" in the first few chapters got a little monotonous for all of us. Now that we are back into it after a break, some exciting stuff is happening! Charlie and I read Bear Shadow by Frank Asch together, talked about the sun and how it creates different shadows, and he drew some cute pictures and narrated parts of the story.
For Tea Time we enjoyed some minty chocolate cupcakes and read a bunch of Edward Lear's limericks. In the evening William had scouts and we did a fun food chain project which I modified a bit to use small wooden blocks rather than milk cartons, and tried out this fun food-chain animation. The boys loved watching all the animals get eaten in turn! The boys finished up requirements for the Wildlife Conservation Belt loop.
Wednesday-Errand Day! Listened to our Latin chants in the car. In the afternoon Charlie and I read from Little Bear together, talked about the moon and he narrated and drew pictures again.
Thursday-Nature Storytime in the morning with Aztec the Owl. Piano lessons in the afternoon. Ben's teacher reviewed his audition scores with him. The judge wrote such comments as "Lovely long legato lines", "Steady tempo and excellent dynamic contrasts" and "Good rich solid tones". Ben had scouts in the evening and they worked on the Webelos Handyman pin. Ben has earned all the pins for his rank except sportsman.
Friday-After working on math and copywork we made a Mr. Gallon for our schoolroom wall. Just for fun.
I am feeling lazy today and we'll probably just do some reading this afternoon, maybe play a game, and call it a day. That's it! Have a great weekend, everyone!

3 comments:
Sounds like a fun week - especially the Frank Lloyd Wright study! I've always loved reading about him.
What a great week and sounds like fun.
Looks like a full and fun week! I'm especially interested in seeing what your youngest guy is doing as I think he's close in age to my youngest. Mine loves Lauri stuff, too.
Kathy @ www.restorationplace.net
Post a Comment