Sunday, September 13, 2009

I Love A Parade (Without Clowns)


I have not been to a parade since I was about 16. My brother's boy scout troop needed extra people to march as Hilex Gnomes in the Winter Carnival Parade an
d I and volunteered my time and expertise.

I have pretty much avoided all parades since then both in person and on television. You never know when you might encounter a clown club, or worse yet, Mimes. And thank goodness those sinewy Euro-clowns from Cirque du Soleil stay put under their own big tops. Shiver.

Today though, in a surprise move, I took my entire family to Smalltown's Community Parade. This is the first time my children have been to such an event. I know. Child abuse.


But Ben and Will even rode on floats for the scouts!


Ben has the choice real estate... standing in the shaded Boy Scout Trailer.


Charlie stayed on the sidelines with Steve and I collecting the shower of candy and freezies from the skies. He was so thrilled!


That's Charlie in the lower left. That would be me pointing out a tootsie roll that went un-grabbed. Why are all the pictures of me taken from this angle? Nice.

I am happy to report there were no circus people on hand, unless you count members of the Library Book Cart Drill Team. Library Book Cart Dream Team is more like it! They were a crowd favorite.

Our Library Director Nate "Catching Air".

I have to admit I really enjoyed the parade. It was a nice end-mark to the summer.


No comments: