Monday, September 6, 2010

Monarchs 2010


Every year we enjoy raising monarch butterflies.  A couple weeks ago we went on our annual caterpillar hunt in our yard and found 3 volunteers of varying sizes to to take care of and watch grow.  Last night all three were cocooned in their beautiful jade-colored chrysalides (or chrysalises if you prefer), but early this morning one beautiful female monarch was ready and waiting to begin her life outdoors.

The kids weren't up yet but I didn't want the butterfly to injure itself should it begin to fly around the aquarium we use, so I let her crawl onto my hand and I carried her outside right away.... 





...and got lucky with this great right-place-at-the-right-time shot...




One down, two to go!

3 comments:

Steph said...

Perfect shot, Michelle! Beautiful!!!! :)

MissMOE said...

Perfect and Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Nice pic, Michelle. :) My Munchkins found some caterpillars as well, but we didn't take them home. Maybe next time we will. Looks like you guys had fun with yours.

Say...on another note completely...we need to get together for coffee sometime this fall, when the weather is nice and the kiddos can play at a park or something. I keep meaning to email and figure out what would work best for you guys. But if nothing works out with your schedule, no worries. We'll just wait and run into you at the library or the ARC this winter when everyone gathers for indoor gym. ;)