Saturday, November 27, 2010

Unprecedented

Normally we are a family that does not put up a Christmas tree until, oh, maybe a week before Christmas.  I am just that way. While I do choose fun projects and outings to do with the kids, I try to keep things to a low simmer, not a manic frenzy. I don't bake a bajillion cookies, or shop on Black Friday, or go out and chop down a tree mid-august.  I bypass the Christmas aisles that spring up just as the Halloween candy gets hauled away, and shun any radio station playing carols until Christmas Eve.  Bah-humbug, right?  I know.  So what is the meaning of all this, a full month before Christmas!? 




Have I lost my mind?

Well, no, I lost my mind long ago, so that is not the issue right now.  I am just trying to turn over a new leaf and not be such a damn crab about everything.  I am trying to be positive about the holidays because I know it is fun for the kids to decorate and bake cookies and enjoy all the carols.  I can do this.  I can be full of Goodwill and Cheer.  Just watch me.  Helping me along with this installing of a tree so early in the season is the fact that Ben is working the Boy Scout tree lot in town this year, so it was only right that the family support his cause.


"Well, M'am, it is so close to Christmas that we are almost out of trees. Not."


 A dear friend of mine, who loves Christmas to pieces, also gave me some motivation to get a tree from Ben:


"I think you should have a little fun with Ben; ask him to pull out tree, after tree, after tree, after tree, for you to walk very slowly around & then dismiss as being 'hopelessly wrong for the space you have in mind' while waving your hand haughtily and taking a swig out of your leg flask."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Too fat.

Too thin.

This isn't one of those trees where all the needles falls off, is it?


How could I resist that bit of fun?! And this sage advice really made me see the light. I don't have to completely give up the crabby me in order to enjoy the holidays after all.  


What?  I just want to find a nice tree.  Is that so wrong?



Oh sure.  Wander away to help those "real" customers.  So rude.



Here's the final  pick all loaded up and ready to take home.  Sure looks nice on top of the car. 

Are you suuuuure it doesn't need to be tied down?

Stay tuned for the decorating!!!
Falalalala-lala-la-laaaaaa!

No comments: