We added something new to our family's winter repertoire this year...snowshoeing! Charlie is just big enough now to fit the kid-size snowshoe bindings and just energetic enough to do an easy trail...well, mostly!
Our first outing was for the Interstate Park Candlelight Night back around Valentine's day. The temp was about 44 degrees that night which made for a fun and comfortable walk, aside from the sweating anyway.
Just recently we were invited to snowshoe again at a gathering of William's WISE Kids group. This trek was a little colder, it was snowing like crazy, and we had a chance to hike off the trails and do a bit of sledding as well. I took pictures with the naturalist's camera, not my own, so I have only a couple shots that she sent to me. Perhaps a few more will come along soon. In the meantime...
Here are Steve and Charlie happily marching along at the start of our journey...
.....and here they are again as we neared the end of the first leg of the walk. If you can't tell, Steve is pulling Charlie on a sled. He just needed a little break, ya know? This actually worked really, really well. After he rested up for awhile, he was able to trek the way back again. Of course the promise of chili dogs and a hot cocoa waiting back at the education center did wonders for motivation!
We took a quick break and detour at an (unofficial) sledding hill in the park before heading back. Ben looks like he wants to be pulled on a sled too. Just a little.
Wish I had more pics! I know I snapped photos of many of the kids and parents with us in the group, but I guess I'm not sure if I even got one of Will, because he and a friend were hiking at a quick clip, non-stop, at the head of the pack. Way too into it to be photographed! Rest assured a good time was had by all!



No comments:
Post a Comment