Thursday, October 20, 2011

Our School Year Has Begun (in case you were wondering)


Yes.  It is true.  We officially started our school year a few weeks back.  It has been going well.  We kicked off our studies with a field trip to the Renaissance Festival.  I had never been there before because I feared having to interact with jesters and/or mimes.  Possibly on stilts.  Can you imagine the horror?!  I know, I know!! As a friend so accurately put it, "These are not my kind of Geek".

Ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!


So, why did we end up going?  A home school mom organized a group deal for us to go on Educator Day which made tickets half price.  Half price made it affordable. Since we will be studying the middle ages and Renaissance this year,  I figured it was worth it.  And it was.  Nary a thing on stilts--huzzah!!  

We enjoyed glass blowing demonstrations, snarky knife throwing comedy from The Danger Committee, hypnotists, jousting-which was a favorite attraction-and more.












There were a couple of nice educational presentations about knights and knighthood, and the history of the joust as well.


The boys also had a chance to suit up for some fencing against their friends.  My children were always the victors, thankyouverymuch.  They loved it and I wish I had a set-up like this is my back yard so they could fight their friends more often.


And also very cute was the knighting.  

Sir Chaz


Go forth Sir Charles and Sir William and do brave deeds!

Sir Wills

All in all a fun day of milling around in the fall sunshine.  Glad we can now say "Been There Done That."




No comments: