Sunday, January 1, 2012
New Year, New Book: Reading Challenge Week 1
Update: See my full review here: Dark Tide.
Happy New Year! I'm all excited to have a brand new year to fill in with wonderful memories and brand new reads! To start off my 52 books in 52 weeks Challenge, I will be reading Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919 by Stephen Puleo.
I first heard about this unusual event from my 13 year old son Ben while sitting around the campfire with family and friends this past summer. Wanting to join in the conversations we were having, Ben offered up a bit of trivia about people drowning in a flood of molasses out east. We were all skeptical about the possibility of such a Molasstrophy, but a quick check-in on the smart phone confirmed the event had indeed taken place.
In 1919 a 50-foot steel tank filled with 2.3 million gallons of molasses collapsed on Boston's waterfront, releasing a 15-foot-high wave of sticky goo which traveled at an astounding 35 miles an hour! A neighborhood was destroyed and 21 people died in this Molassacre. Sometimes, truth is stranger than fiction!
I'll be sure to update with my impressions of this sticky read at week's end!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I found your blog via the 52 Books in 52 Weeks blog! I have never heard of this event either! Best of luck to you on your 52 book journey this year!
How's it going so far? I can't wait to hear what you think. Now, I'm off to get some reading done!
Molasses flood. Never heard of it. Look forward to hearing more about via your reads.
Post a Comment