Thursday, May 16, 2013

Cigar Box Guitar


During our prolonged winter season this year, Ben kept himself occupied with various electronics, programming, and building projects.  One of my favorites was his Cigar Box Guitar.



A friend of a friend owns a smokeshop and was kind enough to send a couple boxes Ben's way.  He choose a larger, light wood design for this project and is saving a dark wood version for another time.  One of his first tasks was to make a stencil for cutting the f-holes.  I only mention this because we think saying "f-hole stencil" is really, really funny.  We are weird that way.
 
f-holes. Sans stencil.

Open gear tuners came from Stew Mac. 




Just three strings, and it sounds pretty good for a wooden box. Both Ben and Steve pick it up often and play it with a glass slide.  As Ben describes it, " It has a real bass-y, blues-y old dobro sound. Rustic and rough, but in a good way."  He's really happy with it, and it was a cool project for him to complete, especially since he was unsure of himself when he started. 

1 comment:

G said...

I really like the looks of it, and I bet it was a fun project! Btw, I think "f-hole stencil" sounds funny too.