Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve, 2009

While we didn't exactly get the Stormageddon that was originally predicted, we did get enough snow to keep us at home on Christmas Eve. We missed visiting with my family, but we made our own fun for the day.


In the afternoon, I enjoyed pulling Charlie around on the sled. I counted that as my workout for the day.





Then I let him pelt me with tiny, tiny, minuscule snowballs for a long, long, long time.





Then of course I pelted him relentlessly with huge, huge, giant snowballs. Just kidding. Snow angel anyone?






As the afternoon wore on, we brought out the snacks, set up the gaming table and had some olde-fashioned family fun. Steve taught the family a game called Hooey in which you have ample opportunity to accuse your loved-ones of lying!

After some evening movies, it was time to finally put the star on the tree. Every year Steve suggests that we perhaps get a new one but I steadfastly refuse. I am just too sentimental to let it go. The kids take turns every year putting it on. This year was Charlie's turn.
Or so we thought. (Scroll down in the linked post to see-gasp-Charlie placing the star last year!)




Charlie erroneously placing the Christmas star-2009


Good thing we sought to be diplomatic and let Will have a ceremonious second-placing-of-the-star after he insisted that This.Year.Was.His.Turn. Ooops.






Finally, after a reading of
The Night Before Christmas, it was time to put out milk and cookies for santa. Double chocolate cherry chunk cookies. Mmmmmmm.




After what seemed to be hours later, the kids finally went to bed, and Santa was heard to exclaim ere he drove out of sight..."A Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night!"

1 comment:

Caryl said...

Lovely Christmas Eve! And funny about the star-placing duties. I love that your blog holds you accountable now. I clicked over and read the story of your sentimental star -- love it. Could we see a close-up photo of it?