Friday, September 7, 2012

R.E.A.L Science Odyssey-Caterpillars



This year, Charlie and I will be working our way through R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey (RSO): Life.  I hesitated in buying this curriculum at first, because we have always managed to do enough exploring in nature in the younger years to satisfy curiosity and provide ample learning opportunities.  So why did I do it?  Well, it looked good.  And it looked like fun for Charlie.  And sometimes, you just want it all done for you!  After reading through this program, I can say that it is very well written, and it is what I would have done myself if I were putting together a formal curriculum.

Although Monkey Island Academy doesn't officially open its doors until Monday morning, Charlie and I have started doing some of the RSO labs already, as opportunity has naturally presented itself.

First off, caterpillars!  For years now, we have made a family tradition of looking for monarch caterpillars on the milkweed in our yard.  We've always had success and it is great fun to feed them and watch their transformations.  One year we even caught a butterfly on film as it emerged from its chrysalis!

We have had so little rain this year, that the Milkweed seems to be dying off early, and catties are difficult to find.  Most years we are able to find 4 or 5 in varying sizes, but this year we only found two big fat ones.  
 
 They were ready to make their chysalides within hours of us bringing them in.



 
That meant not so much interaction with them this year, but Charlie did get to observe one for a bit, and fill out his RSO lab.








He colored and labeled the diagram with head, thorax and abdomen as he observed them on the live caterpillar, as well as antennae, false legs and real legs.  When the butterflies emerge, he'll observe and do similar labs for them as well.

Next up: Arachnids!

No comments: